Building information modelling, or known as BIM, has existed since the 1970s and is rapidly expanding around the world. In 2012, Construction Industry Develepment Board (CIDB) Malaysia began their promotion of BIM with the focus to assist industry players to adopt BIM. Indeed, there are significant differences between companies’ experience in adopting BIM. The construction industry is facing paradigm shift of adopting BIM objectively to increase productivity and reduce waste.
There are numerous of studies show benefits and positive ROI on their overall investment in BIM. Among, few important values of adopting BIM include:
1. Better Collaboration and coordination
2. Better visualization and simulation
3. Improve productivity
4. Reduces time, conflicts and Rework
5. Cost Saving
6. Reusable model for facility management
Common Challenges adopting BIM?
After years of experience, we have identify few common challenges in early stage of adopting BIM.
1. Lack of BIM resources, knowledge, skills and supports
2. Doesn’t know where to start off
3. Budget constraint